Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nintendo logo redesign

My assignment was to redesign the Nintendo logo. Initially I wasn't sure it needed a redesign as the logo's classic and simple characteristics appeal to me, but the more I discussed this with Alexander, the more I understood his line of thinking for redesigning the logo. The brand of Nintendo has been progressing towards a more modern look and feel lately, as seen in their design of the very sleek and modern Wii logo:



Alexander felt the Nintendo logo is currently outdated and doesn't feel like a 21st century design. We agreed the logo should reflect modernity, playfulness, youth, sleekness, technology and coolness. In an effort to achieve this I put this logo together:







The gray reflects the new color direction of Nintendo (as seen in their color scheme on nintendo.com) and the O is replaced by a red button, a reference to the classic remote we all remember playing. The typography is a modern, minimalist sans-serif. The button is 3D and shiny and I wondered if it would appear gimmicky and could quite possibly seem dated a few years from now, so I created an alternative in which the button is represented by a red circle (the same red hue as in Nintendo's classic logo). Here's the result (original logo on top):








No comments:

Post a Comment